March 30, 2009

Where things stand from where I sit

Note to self: when re-launching the blog, make sure you have time to re-launch the blog.

What can I say? The wedding-singing business has been pretty active lately. Y'know: spring, and all.

On that note: for reasons that I suspect we'll get into via a series of Lost-like flashbacks, I've been about ready to quit the biz. Today, I received a personal thank-you letter from the Chief Wedding Singer (Her Reigning Crooner) herself, for a massive recent connubial event that was slightly more logistically demanding than the moon landing. I know the letter was drafted by some flunky on a lateral level to myself and signed by autopen and that, HR-- er, CWS, was probably never even aware of its existence. But, still: warm tinglies, and pretty much right when I needed them.

Next crisis: real estate. A long, long time ago, on a blog much like this, I publicly pondered a property. I didn't buy it; I should have; someone else did; I haven't seen anything remotely as appealing; and I desperately need this process to be over. Comparing apples to oranges is pretty much my least favorite decision-making activity. I can create a Toeplitz matrix of price, square feet, distance to metro, need to change trains, good urbanness, bad urbanness, good suburbia, bad suburbia, gentrification tell-tales and p of noisy neighbors and contemplate it to the exclusion of any other profit-making or life-enhancing activity. Seriously: I have eigenvalues for stacked vs. full-size washer-dryers. K is spending much time and ingenuity trying to convince me that the real estate problem does not harbor a unique solution, but to no avail. My brain has two settings: indifferent, and obsessed.

At the moment, I've made the momentous decision to essentially give up on DC proper, which puts me back where I started a couple of months ago. (And the reason? After much variable-crunching and cognitive kilowattage, it came down to this: DC is icky.) I'm seriously contemplating two properties, both of which are flawed and somewhat unlovely, but neither of which is likely to depreciate. How flawed? Well, DC residents, you tell me: (1) it is worth it to live within house-shaking distance of the 2 AM CSX train through Alexandria for affordable access to Old Town? And, (2) is it crazy to contemplate putting a master bedroom in a half-assed and uninsulated (and, probably, unfinishable) garage conversion just to get 1300 square feet in Ballston?

I find these questions depressing. And hugely time-consuming. But we'll be back soon.

ps MS IE users: does the blog look sort of like a colonial hornbook to you? I think we might have a bit of a kerning problem.



3 comments:

Ryan S said...

Chief Wedding Singer? I'd suggest perhaps that the hunt for an appropriate metaphor should continue, but it's obvious you're enjoying this one, and your writing is even more enjoyable when you're having fun. I'm sure no one in your audience would complain about any mixed metaphors (okay, a couple of us might), and I hear re-mixed metaphors are all the rage with the kids these days.

There's a better joke in there somewhere, but I don't have time enough to massage it right now.

Today's "questionable content" is pretty good. http://questionablecontent.net/

"Duplicity" is good. I enjoyed it quite a bit while watching it, though it's hard to say whether I'm inclined to overpraise it because of the dearth of recent movies of comparable style. Still, love a good con artist movie and very much looking forward to Brothers Bloom. http://brothersbloom.com/

Okay, back to work.

Italophile said...

Is the same person who wasn't exactly a math lover in high school now name-dropping eigenvalues?

esquiver said...

That's not math; that's real estate!