April 6, 2009

No such thing as a free dinner

If you were one of the people to whom I have recently given an "Eat This, Not That" book, do NOT, upon reading the section on pasta, say to yourself "tofu-based noodles that are only 20 calories? Holy moly, I gotta try that!"

Do NOT, upon wondering why the whole world hasn't therefore embraced shirataki noodles, conclude smugly that hoi polloi do not like tofu and you do and therefore all will be well.

And, if you must purchase said noodles, do NOT cook them into a tuna casserole, if tuna casserole is was your favorite comfort dish.

And, if you must cook with said noodles at all, do NOT think afterwards, as the thick rubbery slabs sit indigestibly in your stomach, of that scene in Maria Full of Grace in which she prepares for her first trip as a drug mule.

Shirataki: when your diet compels you to eat latex.

Ecccch.




6 comments:

David Schraub said...

OMG tuna casserole is my favorite comfort food too! Jill and I make it together -- she makes an exception to her general vegetarianism so we can eat it.

Italophile (in thinly veiled judgmental mode) said...

You're not a vegetarian?

Esquiver said...

David -

I'm not surprised. The dish hits all four of the major Jewish food groups: (1) creamy, (2) fatty, (3) salty, and (4) carb.

Italo (who is being redundant in his elected epithet :-)) -

It's true. I'm pescetarian for tuna noodles.

But you raise a good larger point: can one be "vegetarian, except..." or are there merely echt vegetarians and carnivores? Me, I'd take the approach, much like the carpet weavers who leave one knot undone because only god can be perfect, that conscious anti-purism is good for the soul. (Not so much, I understand, for the sole.) However, this is very definitely a position I've arrived at only after a long time riding hard on the road to excess purism. (I know the perfectly good word "purity" exists. But it sounds funny in this context.)

Anonymous said...

Shira WHO???

If McDonalds doesn't offer it, it can't be worth much.

--hank

Italophile said...

In the immortal words of one of my nieces: whatevs.

;-)

And, of course, you are completely right as to the redundancy of my chosen epithet.

I would also like to point out that my "word verification" (in order to leave this comment) is the text string "femincoc" which I found amusing and somehow a propos of your comment.

Bill Abendroth said...

OHHHHHHHHH! Come on now---The Maria Full of Grace reference -- Was that necessary?

There's a reason why some people eat black bean/brown rice burritos every day.........